The Association of British Science Writers is looking to hire two new contractors to support our ambitious plans for the organisation. These roles would be carried out remotely as the ABSW does not have premises or desk space.
We are looking for serious candidates who have previous experience with similar tasks, and are punctual, reliable, flexible, friendly and good team players.
To apply please send a CV outlining your experience and a cover letter to [email protected] before 5pm on 10 November 2023. We intend to interview in the week commencing 20 November, with handover to start in the week commencing 4 December. Please also send any queries about the role to the email above.
- Keeping members informed of activities via the ABSW email discussion list, website, social media and regular membership mailings.
- Devise and implement community communication initiatives.
- Design graphics for social media and other uses using Canva.
- Engagement, including providing value to existing members.
- Marketing the ABSW to attract new members.
- Event administration–e.g. membership checks, paying expenses.
- Ensure smooth running of website and to develop website according to needs.
- Working with the Executive Secretary on website and other communications for all ABSW activities, including the design of communications materials.
- Analyse web traffic and relevant community metrics.
- Dealing with all queries to the ABSW.
- Relay community feedback to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Running annual elections for the ABSW Executive Board.
- All arrangements and papers for AGM.
- Keeping company and other records.
- Attendance at board meetings when required.
- Assisting the Secretary with Board meeting papers and logistics if required.
- Running membership system.
- Managing the data held in our database regularly and ensuring it complies with our data policy.
- Providing membership data to board when requested.
- Processing of new membership applications.
- Keeping membership records up to date.
The rate of pay for this role is £22.80 per hour and we expect it to require around 44 hours a month on average.
Managing ABSW’s financial processes including:
- Managing the ABSW’s monthly accounts, entering income and expenditure, paying VAT returns, using Quickbooks.
- Making payments.
- Providing financial data to board when requested.
- Ensuring ABSW financial records are kept up to date using Quickbooks.
- Managing ABSW account administration.
- Administering technical issues of payment systems.
- Preparing the end of year accounts, liaising with the accountants and the honorary auditors.
The rate of pay for this role is £21 per hour and we expect it to take around 10 hours a month on average.